|1/17/2008 - Jackson, Miss.
During its regular monthly meeting today, the Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL) formally welcomed Dr. George E. Ross as the 17th President of Alcorn State University. Dr. Ross joins the IHL System from Central Michigan University, where he served as vice president for finance and administrative services. The Board also formally thanked Dr. Malvin Williams for his service as Alcorn’s Interim President following the untimely death of Dr. Clinton Bristow, Jr., in August 2006.
In other news, Commissioner of Higher Education Dr. Thomas C. Meredith recognized the institutional winners of the Board’s 2007 Best Practices competition. The Board implemented the annual Best Practices competition to recognize efficient and effective practices in the areas of academics; finance, business, and administration; student services; and technology. The practices submitted for competition by the institutions were judged by institutional peer groups. First-place institutions in each category receive $10,000 and second-place winners receive $5,000, paid from the Board’s incentive pool. Read detailed descriptions of the winning Best Practices by visiting http://www.mississippi.edu/bestpractices/2007_Winners.html. The 2007 Best Practices competition winners include:
- First Place: Mississippi State University’s “Learning Skills Support Program”
- Second Place: Mississippi University for Women’s “Increasing Advisor Knowledge and Information Access”
Category: FINANCE, BUSINESS, AND ADMINISTRATION
- First Place: Delta State University’s “Increased Efficiencies in Business Processes through Barcoding”
- Second Place: Jackson State University’s “Comprehensive Vehicle Management Solution”
Category: STUDENT SERVICES
- First Place: The University of Southern Mississippi’s “Service-Learning Faculty Fellows Program”
- Second Place: The University of Mississippi’s “Media Convergence”
- First Place: The University of Mississippi’s “Online Policy Directory and Administration System”
- Second Place: Mississippi State University’s “Network Quarantine”
The next regular meeting of the Board of Trustees will be held February 20 and 21, 2008 in the IHL Board Room in Jackson. Under the leadership of the Board of Trustees, IHL governs the public universities in Mississippi, including Alcorn State University; Delta State University; Jackson State University; Mississippi State University including the Mississippi State University Division of Agriculture, Forestry and Veterinary Medicine; Mississippi University for Women; Mississippi Valley State University; the University of Mississippi including the University of Mississippi Medical Center; and the University of Southern Mississippi.