The minimum REQUIRED CPC for full admission into a Mississippi public university is as follows:
English: 4 Carnegie units
Mathematics: 3 Carnegie units
- All must require substantial communication skills (i.e., reading, writing, listening, and speaking). Compensatory Reading and Writing may not be included.
Science: 3 Carnegie units
- Algebra I or its equivalent
- Math higher than Algebra I (2 units)
Social Studies: 3 Carnegie units
- Biology I or its equivalent
- Science higher than Biology I (2 units)
Arts: 1 Carnegie unit
- U.S. History
- World History
- U.S. Government (½ unit)
- Economics (½ unit) or Introduction to World Geography (½ unit)
Advanced Electives: 2 Carnegie units
- Includes any one Carnegie unit (or two . units) of visual and performing arts course(s) meeting the requirements for high school graduation.
Technology: ½ Carnegie unit
- Option 1: Foreign Language I and Foreign Language II
- Option 2: Foreign Language I and Advanced World Geography
- Option 3: Any combination of English, Mathematics higher than Algebra I, Science higher than Biology I, Advanced Elective category, any AP course, any IB course
Total Carnegie units: 16½
- A course that emphasizes the use of technology as a productivity tool. Instruction should include utilizing various forms of technology to create, collaborate, organize, and publish information. The application of technology as a productivity tool, rather than specific hardware and/or software packages should be the focus of the course.
- Pre-High School units: Courses taken prior to high school will be accepted for admission provided the course earns Carnegie credit and the content is the same as the high school course.
- Substitutions: Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) courses can be substituted for each requirement in the College Preparatory Curriculum.
- Course Acceptance: A course may not be used to satisfy more than one requirement.
- The Required and Recommended College Preparatory Curricula (CPC) are approved by the IHL Board of Trustees, and the IHL Office of Academic and Student Affairs maintains a complete list of courses that can be used to satisfy the CPC requirements. See www.mississippi.edu/admissions. The Mississippi Department of Education also maintains an online course catalog with CPC classifications for each course - www.rcu.msstate.edu/Curriculum/MDECourseCode.aspx.aspx